Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tie Dye Projects from Leftover Easter Egg Dye

Happy Easter!



This year I bought my boys tie dye Easter egg dye kits. They turned out pretty cool. I wanted to come up with something to use the extra dye on.



Pillows!

I found some nice white flannel in my fabric stash and cut up some rectangles. Then I twisted from corner to corner diagonally. Next I tied the fabric in a knot and tucked in each end.



My boys got to do the fun part. We had a very small eye dropper left from the egg kit. I had the boys squirt random colors all over the tied up fabric. I made sure that they got deep inside the knot as well.



Then we untied the fabric and voila! Cute pillow fabric was born!



My 4 yr old wanted to tie dye some of his undies and socks as well. So, of course we did. They turned out pretty cool too.





I think that most of the dye will wash out of the socks and undies, but it was still a super fun project. If you can come up with things to tie dye that you don't have to wash, that would be the best. Happy Tie Dying!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

This is awesome! I love tie-dying. I also love that you let your 4 year old dye his underthings.

You guys must have had a blast.

Lisa
http://chicmagnifique.blogspot.com

laxsupermom said...

What a fun idea to use up the leftovers! I think if you heat set them, most of the color should stay. Thanks for sharing.

laxsupermom said...

Just letting you know that I'm awarding you with the Kreativ Blogger Award. Swing on by to accept it.

Anonymous said...

Did the heat setting work on the cotton garments? we did something similar with my son's tshirt, but I'm afraid to wash it!

heatherowe said...

You can use 1 cup of white vinegar in the washer the first time you wash the items to help set the dye and then the hot setting in your dryer! Looks like the boys had lots of fun!